Thanks for Visiting my Blog!

I am curious to learn where the people who are reading my blog are from in the World. I don't know any way to find out except to ask, so I am. I have a Visitor's Poll on the right side. Please take a second to select the best answer. If I don't have your Country listed it is not intended as a Slight (China was suppose to be there; I can't add it now). I quickly realized I could not list every country, so I have continents listed. Feel free to drop me a comment or email as to which Country you reside in if it isn't in the list IN ADDITION to selecting the best answer in the poll. Thanks

Friday, July 3, 2009

Honduras - why are we trying to force them to accept a corrupt politician?

Why is the US and other nations trying to force Honduras to accept a corrupt politician back as President? I have wondered this as I read news accounts of WHY he was removed from office. Yes the military removed him but how else were they to remove him? He had already defied the Congress, Supreme Court of Honduras and every other body that told him "no". What would we do in the US if the President insisted on breaking the law? Insisted on doing what the Supreme Court and Congress told him he couldn't do? What the people also rejected? We'd have him taken into custody also. No one is above the law.

The fact Honduras used the Military to in effect enforce the impeachment doesn't change the fact Zelaya was trying to use his post as President to force his will upon the people. He was trying to be a Chavez. We in the US should not be trying to force Hondurans to accept a corrupt leader anymore than we would accept him. He broke the law and as a result was removed from office. End of story or it should be.

We should support the people of Honduras in their decision to remove a corrupt official and use their Constitution to name his successor.

Oh hypocrites we are. We criticize Honduras for removing a corrupt leader and stay silent as Ahmadinejad and Khamenei murder, beat and torture innocents in Iran to in effect take office by a coup. That is a real coup; Honduras was not. Somehow it seems we have forgot what once made our country great - freedom and democracy - even as we prepare to supposedly celebrate it tomorrow. Have we forgotten what freedom really means? Have we forgotten that while the Declaration of Independence was signed July 4, 1776, it was not until the Treaty of Paris in 1783 that our right to exist apart from Britain was recognized. 7 years of bloodshed in a coup to decide our lives for ourselves. Today we seek to deny those same rights to people of Honduras and Iran.

Where are you now George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson? Is this the country you envisioned? I think not.

No comments:

Search this and other sites

Google
SEARCH NOW:
by title by author