Thanks for Visiting my Blog!

I am curious to learn where the people who are reading my blog are from in the World. I don't know any way to find out except to ask, so I am. I have a Visitor's Poll on the right side. Please take a second to select the best answer. If I don't have your Country listed it is not intended as a Slight (China was suppose to be there; I can't add it now). I quickly realized I could not list every country, so I have continents listed. Feel free to drop me a comment or email as to which Country you reside in if it isn't in the list IN ADDITION to selecting the best answer in the poll. Thanks

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One last Harry Potter blog - It's the Little Things

One last Harry Potter blog --

at least for now. The next blog is planned to be about a more serious subject although it does have a Harry Potter connection. Alzheimer's. The connection with Harry Potter? It is the model JK Rowling uses for Neville's mother.

Back to Deathly Hallows. Some people have questioned WHY? Why are you and others disappointed. So I have decided to try and answer. This next part is from what I posted recently on orkut's Harry Potter for Adults
(with a few modifications):
If you were the parents of Hermione, would you be excited if she suddenly had test scores that were acceptable rather than outstanding? Wouldn't you be just a bit disappointed? Wouldn't you expect more from her?

Never in 6 books did JKR write anything that was not completely consistent with what she had previously written. She was no average writer. She excelled at writing a story that was interesting yet complex. She gave details and dropped hints and clues and always when you looked backward you could see how everything aligned and made sense.

Book 7 departs from that. Suddenly things that should not happen, happen; things that should, don't.

IF this had been the first book I had read of JK Rowling I would be happy. It is better than most of the books I read. But it is not to the higher level she has previously written. It is like Hermione getting a mediocre grade rather than outstanding. Something is just out of whack! It doesn't fit.

Entertaining? Sure. Just as the movies are entertaining. Are the movies as good as the books? No. Do they make as much sense as the books? No. Is this book as well written technically as the previous 6? No. Does it make sense as the previous 6 books? No.

There are parts of the book that are signature JK Rowling. Maybe 90 percent or more. But it is those bits and pieces that just do not fit that bring it down for those of us who loved her because of how well she wrote, how consistent she was.


It's the little things. JK Rowling has always been a master writer of the little things. It is one of the reasons I loved reading her books. In book 7, the little things are what disappoints. They are no longer consistent. The story is still good but not as good as if the little things remained as before -- consistent. For example, in previous books we learned that James fought Voldemort in an effort to give Lily time to escape with Harry. We were told he put up a valiant fight. But not in Deathly Hallows. In Deathly Hallows, there is no fight. James does not even have his wand, and Voldemort simply kills him. Little things like this in the past have always aligned and made sense with her previous writing. In book 7, it doesn't. They are out of alignment. They contradict.

I loved to read before JK Rowling ever wrote the first Harry Potter book. I read more than the average person, and most of what I read is not nearly as well written as Deathly Hallows. One day (hopefully soon) I plan to add an extended book section to my website that lists some of the authors and books I find to be worth recommending. JK Rowling will still be there. So don't take what I have written out of context.

JK Rowling is like Hermione. She is brilliant enough to always get Outstanding. But here she doesn't write to her normal standards. The Little Things that have in the past bolstered her writing now magnify the short-falls. It's the little things we have come to expect from her. That is why I and others are disappointed with Deathly Hallows. It's the Little Things.

No comments:

Search this and other sites

Google
SEARCH NOW:
by title by author